Globally recognised environmental pioneers Wilkhahn are once again taking bold strides forward in the name of sustainability. The award-winning Yonda collection is their magnum opus of design circularity.
April 24th, 2023
Wilkhahn’s corporate culture has recognised sustainability as a core philosophical concern even as far back as 1989. Since then, they have helped to engineer the future of sustainable design – making leaps, strides and innovations towards a greener future.
The Yonda Seating Family continues this legacy beautifully. Named after the archaic English word ‘Yonda,’ meaning “beyond,” Yonda truly lives up to its name by going the extra mile. Neunzig°design reimagines the archetypal, spacious shell structure of the chair into a versatile range with enduring design value fit for the homes and workplaces of the future. Its design, materials and surface finishes reflect the concept of a circular economy – a utopia of responsible reuse.
The seat shell, made in Germany, consists of an innovative biocomposite sourced from discarded materials. Approximately 70% of the material is made from post-consumer recycled polypropylene and the other 30% from locally sourced waste wood. The result is an astoundingly durable material with a high-quality and consistent surface appearance, which can be optionally through-dyed in six food-safe colours.
Yonda’s circularity doesn’t end there. The optional felt pad weaves a ballad of sustainable organic material, made from pure wool. The adhesive-free seat upholstery is made from plywood and polyurethane moulded foam (PUR) and the replaceable, thin upholstery element is also comprised of biocomposite granules. For those who want sustainable fabric covers, customers can choose re-wool – a renewable wool fabric comprised of 45% recycled industrial waste. Oceanic, for example, is a hard-waring cover made from synthetic fibres; 50% of which come from the plastic debris found in our oceans.
Furthermore, the frames are also recyclable and easy to repair or replace. All of the materials used in the framing are either renewable, or part of a closed-loop recycling process. The frames are made from a number of different sustainable materials, including:
Available in six colours, four upholstery types, five base frame variants, and eco-friendly covers, there is a Yonda for everyone. It’s no wonder that the Yonda range has won the Red Dot Awards’ Best of the Best in the product design category and the IF Design Award – full points on all design criteria.
Image by ‘The Subdivision’
Explore Wilkhahn’s Yonda range here, visit their website here or send an enquiry directly to the Wilkhahn team here.
We think you might like this story about Reshaping executive spaces for the new era of work
Keep up to date with the latest and greatest from our industry BFF's!
Renowned designer Mac Stopa’s latest creation, the Konfurb Orbit, strikes the perfect blend of elegance and comfort. We delve into the unique features and design choices which make it all possible.
Studio Prineas’ Fisherman’s House and its theatrical kitchen sets a backdrop for life, with utterly unique design details awarding it the top prize.
Sub-Zero and Wolf’s prestigious Kitchen Design Contest (KDC) has celebrated the very best in kitchen innovation and aesthetics for three decades now. Recognising premier kitchen design professionals from around the globe, the KDC facilitates innovation, style and functionality that pushes boundaries.
As MillerKnoll offers a deep-dive into some of the company’s ESG initiatives with the recently released 2023 Better World Report, we take a closer look at their unwavering commitment to transformative design – and the belief that with great design comes great responsibility.
The building boasts 171 years of history and an iconic Sydney location. Now, with Woods Bagot’s redesign complete, one of the city’s premier hotels has been fully revitalised.
Alice Blackwood takes a stroll through Melbourne’s new Molteni&C flagship, with its head of marketing and communications and third-generation family member, Giulia Molteni.
Ando’s sleek, stark, black box rises above Osaka’s skyline and hides a treasure trove of interiors designed by Concrete.
The internet never sleeps! Here's the stuff you might have missed
The University of New England (UNE) recently hosted a community reveal of Architectus’ initial vision for the proposed Tamworth campus. We walk you through the update.
What can we learn from Place Score’s 2023 Australian Liveability Census? Founder Kylie Legge says the findings put a whole new frame on the classic ‘Australian (quarter-acre block) dream’.
Ground-breaking in its day and an icon of Australian campus architecture, the University of Sydney’s Fisher Library is celebrating 60 years with a very special reactivation.