The World Architecture Festival (WAF) 2019 – the world’s largest live-judged awards program – has announced its project shortlists. A whopping total of 60 projects from Australia have made it to the final shortlist and will be judged at the 12th edition of the festival taking place from the 4-6 December at the RAI Amsterdam.
Green Square Library and Plaza by Studio Hollenstein in association with Stewart Architecture. Photo by Tom Roe.
The shortlist includes stellar projects like the Bellbird Retreat by Steendijk, Arc by Koichi Takada Architects, St Andrews Beach House by Austin Maynard Architects, among others, which also made it into the coveted INDE.Awards 2019 shortlist.
Arc by Koichi Takada Architects. Photo by Tom Ferguson.
Australia also leads in the ‘Completed Building: House’ category with shortlisted projects like Welcome to the Jungle House by CplusC Architectural Workshop and The Redfern Warehouse by Ian Moore Architects. Over 534 shortlisted projects from across 70 countries will be presented live at WAF.
Redfern Warehouse by Ian Moore Architects. Photo by Rory Gardiner.
Eminent industry personalities from around the world like Elizabeth Diller, Founder and Partner at Diller Scofidio + Renfro, Ben Van Berkel, Founder and Principal Architect of UNStudio and Doriana and Massimiliano Fuksas of Studio Fuksas will attend WAF to speak over three days of conference programs, awards, exhibitions and fringe events.
Paul Finch, Programme Director of World Architecture Festival says, “We are hugely encouraged by the level of support and the number of award entries, which have come from your region this year. We look forward to seeing the shortlisted entrants, plus speakers and judges, from Australia.”
B:HIVE, Smales Farm by BVN in association with Jasmax. Photo by John Gollings.
Projects of all sizes and types, ranging from private residential, education, infrastructure, healthcare, hospitality, civic, interior to landscape, are represented in the 2019 shortlist. Prominent global architectural firms shortlisted include Zaha Hadid Architects, Foster + Partners, Woods Bagot, Heatherwick Studio, BIG, Wilkinson Eyre and Studio Gang.
Brunswick Power Terminal Station by Beca. Photo by Matt Krumins
View the complete shortlist for this year’s awards here.
Indesign congratulates all those Australian practices that have been shortlisted:
- 77 Market Street by fjmt
- 88 Harris Street by SJB
- 210 George Street by Grimshaw Architects
- 537 Elizabeth Street by Woods Bagot
- Adelaide Botanic High School by Cox Architecture and DesignInc
- Anzac Memorial Centenary Project by Johnson Pilton Walker with the Office of the New South Wales Government Architect
- Arc by Koichi Takada Architects
- Arrábida Retreat by Nic Brunsdon
- Arran Marine Discovery Centre by Woods Bagot
- Barangaroo Ferry Wharf by COX Architecture
- Bellbird Retreat by Steendijk
- BHIVE, Smales Farm by BVN in association with Jasmax
- Bilya Koort Boodja – Centre for Nyoongar Culture and Environmental Knowledge by iredale pedersen hook architects
- Brunswick Power Terminal Station by Beca
- Bunjil Place by fjmt
- Byron Bay by Rob Mills Architecture and Interiors
- Cairns Performing Arts Centre by Cox Architecture and CA Architects
- Castle Cove House by TERROIR
- Caulfield to Dandenong Level Crossing Removal by COX Architecture
- Caulfield to Dandenong Level Crossing Removal by ASPECT
- Cloud House by Neil Cownie Architect
- Dangrove by Tzannes
- Doubleground by MUIR+OPENWORK
- Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences by Architectus
- Gift Shops of National Museum of Qatar by Koichi Takada Architects
- Grand Central Shopping Centre by fjmt and Buchan
- Green Square Library and Plaza by Studio Hollenstein
- Greenland Centre by BVN
- Marchwiel Estate by John Wardle Architects
- Mernda Rail Extension by Grimshaw
- Minka Twins by bureau^proberts
- Monte Sant’Angelo Mercy College by Fox Johnston & Tribe Studios
- MPavilion 2018 by Estudio Carme Pinós
- Northcote High School Performing Arts & VCE Centre by KTA
- Northern Beaches Hospital by BVN (INSIDE)
- Northern Beaches Hospital by BVN (WAF)
- Perth Children’s Hospital by JCY Architects and Urban Designers, Cox Architecture and Billard Leece Partnership with HKS
- Pingelly Recreation and Cultural Centre – Iredale pederson hook architects with Advances Timber Concepts Studio
- Pondok Indah Bintaro Jaya Hospital by Silver Thomas Hanley
- Powell Street House by Robert Simeoni Architects
- Puffing Billy Lakeside Station by TERROIR
- Redfern Warehouse by Ian Moore Architects
- St Andrews Beach House by Austin Maynard Architects
- St Andrews Beach Villa by Woods Bagot (INSIDE)
- St Andrews Beach Villa by Woods Bagot (WAF)
- The Club Stand by Bates Smart
- The Frank Bartlett Library and Community Centre by fjmt
- The Ian Potter Southbank Centre by John Wardle Architects
- The Tiing by Nic Brunsdon
- The UNSW Bookshop by SJB
- The University of South Australia Cancer Research Institute by SPA and BVN
- Tidal Arc House by Woods Bagot
- Tongue n Groove Flagship Showroom by Tobias Partners
- Walan by bureau^proberts
- Warrane Walk by ASPECT Studios
- Welcome to the Jungle House by CplusC Architectural Workshop
- Yagan Square by Lyons in collaboration with iredale pedersen hook
Subscribe to our weekly newsletter to stay updated with the latest happenings in the world of architecture and design.