Kohler bowls one Habitus reader over with $10,000 worth of bathroom products
February 17th, 2009
To celebrate the launch of Habitus magazine, Kohler generously gave one lucky reader the chance to win $10,000 worth of their bathroom products.
To be in the running, entrants were asked to send in photographs of their bathroom, along with 10 reasons why they needed a makeover.
From the many and varied entries – some were comparable to a 4-star hotel, while others could only be described as “aesthetically challenged” – a winner emerged.
Anne Hayes of Coorparoo in Queensland was selected as the lucky winner, and now has the luxury of being able to make her bathroom into an environment for relaxation and an expression of personal style with a wide selection of Kohler products to choose from.
Kohler drives bathroom trends with a foundation of quality materials and enduring style, bringing beauty, comfort and exceptional performance to the home.
With pioneering new styles, such as The Bold Look of Kohler®, innovative technologies and colours, Anne is welcoming the Kohler products into her bathroom with open arms, saying “I am so embarrassed by our bathroom at the moment, as you could expect. Thank you… you have made my year”.
The Habitus team were so impressed by the creativity of some of the entries that some extra prizes had to be awarded. Congratulations (and commiserations) were given to the following five runners up, who will receive a 1-year subscription to Habitus magazine for their efforts:
Drew Ridley of Dianella, WA
Ian McCallam of Surry Hills, NSW
Janet Leach of South Brisbane, QLD
Kate Jarrett of North Bondi, NSW
Mark Santander of Chatswood, NSW
Images of the winning and runners-up entries appear below, including a creative movie sent in by one entrant!
Winning Entry from Anne Hayes
1. See attached photographs of our bathroom!
2. I already have a photo of one of the decorated sinks on my desktop at work – I hadn’t realised that it was a product that Kohler sold!!! I absolutely love
these decorated sinks and faucets.
3. The Kohler range is extensive and there are several different styles in the range. We have an older-style 1920’s house which we are slowly renovating
and we are looking at redecorating the bathroom in a more vintage style.
4. There are lots of interesting innovations within the range – bath technology in water saving and relaxation through sound waves which are new and
innovative. It sounds like fun to me and we are both serious about water conservation. We keep a bucket in the bath so we can water the plants with the
water we don’t use from our showers.
5. We couldn’t afford to do our bathroom out in Kohler products normally.
6. We saw some of the products at the local (Brisbane) HIA homeshow a few months ago at the Brisbane Convention Centre. Very nice.
7. Having a new bathroom would stop me cringing when guests ask to use our bathroom. It has been mentioned that some of the things in our bathroom
belong in a museum.
8. We just got our lighting circuit rewired throughout the whole house and now that we have lights in the bathroom (which is a novelty), I can see how
hideous the room really is.
9. We sound a bit primitive don’t we. I’m a graphic designer/artist/illustrator and I love living in a beautiful space. It’s important to my wellbeing and sense
of place. At the moment, the bathroom just doesn’t fit into that ‘sense of place’.
10. The fact that the Kohler range accessorises its products is pretty flash.
Runners Up Entries
Drew Ridley, Dianella, WA
Ian McCallam, Surry Hills, NSW
We wish to advise our bathroom is failing,
Hand towels keep coming off of the railing.
Grout is falling from the walls more and more,
And mould and marks have appeared on the shower door.
Unfortunately it’s a bit dated you see,
A funky makeover from Kohler would give us much glee!
The colours don’t match the rest of the place,
The mirror is slanted, it’s such a disgrace!
Glue around the shower screen is in a big blob,
The original builders did a terrible job!
There’s a gaping hole in the ceiling from work previously done,
We tried to be ’handy’ but it wasn’t much fun.
The toilet makes funny noises throughout the night,
We often wake up with a terrible fright!
Turn on the lights and it’s so badly lit,
We just wish for our bathroom to be a big hit.
Water is leaking from the hand-washing station,
So there’s 10 reasons why we need a bathroom renovation!
INDESIGN is on instagram
The internet never sleeps! Here's the stuff you might have missed
Entries for the INDE.Awards 2018 are open and our jury is taking shape with leading figures from architecture and design in APAC and beyond. Year two of the INDE.Awards, which will be bestowed in Singapore on 29 June 2018, is set to be APAC’s most significant celebration of regional architecture and design.